Guess who just got a brand new grill? Barbecuing is a culinary craft that I’ve wanted to experiment with for a while and now I finally have the necessary equipment. My charcoal-fueled Weber grill is exactly what I need to create various healthy dishes in the beautiful weather. My dad taught me how to properly light the coals and get the fire going, and afterward, I used my healthy culinary skills on the grill.
Early in the day, I decided to marinade the boneless, skinless chicken breasts that I had in my fridge. I contemplated using my Lemon Dijon Tarragon Marinaded Chicken recipe, but I chose to experiment with the ingredients I had available. I ended up creating an absolutely delicious marinade that’s not only low calorie, but it’s also made with all natural ingredients and it’s perfect for the grill, the stovetop, or the oven! I made balsamic vinegar the main focus of the marinade and added other ingredients to supplement the flavor, such as raw honey for the sweetener and lemon juice for some extra tanginess. Let me tell you, it came out absolutely scrumptious. I already can’t wait to use it again, especially since it was so easy to throw together!
This marinade only takes a few minutes to prepare. The time-consuming part is waiting for the chicken to be fully marinaded and ready to cook. I suggest preparing the marinade the night before you plan to cook it in order to allow plenty of time for maximum absorption. Six to nine hours is ideal, but a half a day later still works. When grilled, the meat will be so tender and juicy, all while having a flavorful and crisp exterior.
If you love barbecue chicken, you will love this marinaded grilled chicken. It’s very easy to throw together and it’s a guaranteed crowd pleaser! Try it out while the weather is still gorgeous! If you really want to be like me, you can even grill in your moccasins! 🙂
- 1 lb (or desired amount) boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Juice of 1 lemon, or 6 tablespoons of lemon juice
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon raw honey
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- Add all ingredients other than chicken to a large baking dish. (You can also prepare it in a bowl and marinade the chicken in plastic freezer bags.) Stir or whisk well until completely blended.
- Trim any visible fat off the raw chicken.
- Place each piece of chicken into the marinade and move around, flipping it over. Repeat twice. Do this with each piece of chicken.
- Cover the baking dish with tin foil and refrigerate. I let mine sit in the fridge for about 7 hours. About 6-9 hours is ideal for preparation, or overnight. If you don’t have that much time, you can take it out earlier, but it won’t necessarily be as flavorful.
- If grilling, place on grill until cooked through.
- If baking, preheat oven to 375ºF. Transfer chicken onto a baking sheet lined with tin foil. Drizzle remaining marinade over chicken and season lightly with salt. Bake for about 25-27 minutes. Enjoy!
- Calories in marinade: about 215