Spring is arguably my favorite season for many different reasons. Nothing feels better than experiencing the weather gradually become warmer and brighter after a frigid winter. The flowers that begin to bloom, in addition to the beautiful cherry blossom trees, bring so much color to the previously gray and dreary winter. In addition, some of the freshest, most flavorful produce is available during springtime. Strawberries are bursting with sweet juiciness and greens are crisp and flavorful. There are even certain fruits, veggies, and herbs that are only available during this season. I decided to embrace the gifts of the season and create a fresh salad reminiscent of spring.
You may not have previously thought to pair strawberries and basil together, but they complement each other wonderfully. Especially while the strawberries are newly sweet, the pairing delivers a refreshing taste. When combined with sunflower seeds and balsamic vinegar as dressing, this is the perfect salad for spring.
My mother recently decided to become a vegetarian, which is something that I am still growing accustomed to. If you know my weight loss story, you know that I grew up eating anything and everything that I wanted, and so did she. A few years ago, she began eating Nutrisystem foods and after a couple of years, she successfully lost over 100 pounds. I could not be more proud of her and I am so glad that she’s taken her healthy lifestyle a step further and eliminated meat. I’m not sure if I would ever do it, but I applaud her for staying so strong.
Taking the fact that she’s an herbivore into consideration, I decided to create this delicious salad recipe for her and for you to enjoy! It is so easy to throw together and it’s super light and low calorie. You can use this as a side dish or a main dish, depending on your appetite and your menu. If you’re looking for a super quick and easy, healthy recipe to make, try this salad out! As always, if you make any of my recipes, please take pictures and use the hashtag #BriHealthy so I can see it and repost it!
- 5 oz fresh baby spinach
- 4 large fresh basil leaves, sliced
- 8-10 medium strawberries, quartered
- ¼ cup feta cheese
- 1 tablespoon raw sunflower seeds, shelled
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- Add spinach to a large mixing bowl.
- Cut basil into strips lengthwise, then cut in half to leave small, short strips. Add basil to the mixing bowl and toss to combine.
- Cut strawberries into quarters and add to the mixing bowl.
- Add feta cheese and sunflower seeds to mixing bowl. Toss well.
- Plate the salad and drizzle balsamic vinegar on top. Enjoy!
- Calories: about 250 in entire recipe; about 62 calories per serving (with 4 servings)