This post was sponsored by KiiNOA! Snacks. The opinions are completely my own based on my experience.
Let’s be real: mozzarella sticks are one of the best snacks of all time. They’re perfect for any occasion. Throwing a game day get-together? Mozz sticks. Hosting a party? Mozz sticks. Bored on a rainy Sunday with extra string cheese on hand? Mozz sticks. In other words, mozzarella sticks are amazing all day, every day. What could possibly make these cheesy snacks even more delicious? The answer is pretty obvious: more cheese.
This year, a specific cheese-covered, puffed snack that features a certain orange cheetah became super trendy as an ingredient in unsuspecting recipes. Restaurants all over the country were putting these snacks in everything, from macaroni and cheese to sushi, and even all the way to donuts. One dish that caught my attention was a mozzarella sticks recipe that featured the snack as a coating, mixed with breadcrumbs. Those sounded delicious to me, and being Bri Healthy, I decided to make a healthier (yet still just as delicious) version of them using one of my favorite brands, KiiNOA! Snacks!
These puffed quinoa snacks are cheesy, crunchy, and perfect to use as a coating. I used the same technique to crush the KiiNOA! Snacks as I did in my Honey Mustard Jalapeño Zucchini Fries recipe. Using these puffs eliminates the need for additional bread crumbs due to their panko-like consistency. They’re super cheesy, yet still healthy and low calorie. Not only are KiiNOA! Snacks perfect on mozzarella sticks, but they also make a delicious, filling snack on their own!
KiiNOA! Snacks are all-natural, certified gluten-free, non-GMO superfood snacks made from organic quinoa. They are packed with fiber, protein, vitamins, and minerals. They’re also kosher, soy-free, and nut-free. As a snack on their own, they’re deliciously crunchy and super filling. With only 140 calories per bag, they make a perfect snack for people of all ages. KiiNOA! Snacks come in three different tasty flavors, and you can grab some for yourself by clicking here. Thanks to the amazing owner of KiiNOA! Snacks, if you use code “BriHealthy” at checkout, you’ll receive 20% off your entire order and free shipping!
One final tip before you can let loose and make these delicious mozz sticks on your own: make sure to freeze your string cheese (after you cut them) for at least an hour before baking. If you don’t, they could potentially melt while baking, and you definitely don’t want a puddle of mozzarella. It’s not easy to wait before make these amazing snacks, but it’s so important to wait until they’re frozen before starting to prepare them.
These mozzarella sticks are a serious game-changer. Clocking in at only about 58 calories per mozzarella stick, these are low calorie enough to enjoy without guilt on any occasion. They’re perfect for any game day, party, or literally any occasion! I can talk about these for hours, but I’ll let you go ahead and enjoy them for yourself.
- 6 reduced fat string cheese sticks, cut in half and frozen for at least 1 hour
- 2 bags of Cheddar Cheese KiiNOA! Snacks , crushed
- ¼ cup liquid egg whites
- Olive oil non-stick cooking spray
- Cut mozzarella sticks in half and freeze them in advance. Make sure they’re firmly frozen before using, which may take an hour or more.
- When ready to cook, preheat oven to bake at 400°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and spray it with olive oil non-stick spray.
- Open the bags of KiiNOA! Snacks and transfer the puffs to a large, zippable plastic baggy. Press the air out of the bag and close it tightly. Crush the KiiNOA! using a rolling pin until it's at a flour/breadcrumb consistency. (Alternatively, you can use a food processor to pulse the puffs.) Place crushed KiiNOA! Snacks on a plate.
- Place the liquid egg whites in a bowl.
- To coat the mozzarella sticks, first dip each piece of string cheese in the egg whites. Shake any excess egg whites off of each piece back into the bowl, then roll it around on the plate of KiiNOA! coating until fully coated. (Tip: use one hand for dipping into the egg and one for rolling into the KiiNOA! to prevent each bowl from getting clumpy.) Place each stick on the baking sheet, making sure that they do not touch one another.
- When they're all coated, spray them all with olive oil non-stick spray.
- Bake for about 5-7 minutes. Check them after 5 minutes to make sure they're not starting to melt.
- Place on a serving plate and enjoy!
- Calories: 700 in entire recipe, making each mozzarella stick about 58 calories.