This post was sponsored by KiiNOA! Snacks. The opinions are completely my own based on my experience.
I’ve always heard incredible things about zucchini fries. I once ordered them at a restaurant, and when they did not live up to my expectations, I became turned off from the idea. However, I recently decided to give them a try again. I’m not one to hold grudges, especially toward food! (Unless it’s bacon, of course. I detest bacon.)
The aforementioned restaurant’s version of zucchini fries were not truly intended to be healthy. They most likely included it on the menu to seem like a lighter option, but they were still deep fried, making them super soggy and not very enjoyable. I wanted to make an actually healthy recipe, so I decided to bake my fries. I figured that they would be simple to throw together, and I was correct. They came out absolutely fantastic and I can’t wait to make them again!
Instead of using flour or breadcrumbs as a coating, I used a special ingredient. I crushed one of my favorite snacks, Honey Mustard Jalapeño KiiNOA! Snacks, and used that as the coating. KiiNOA! Snacks are all-natural, certified gluten-free, non-GMO superfood snacks made from organic quinoa. They are packed with fiber, protein, vitamins, and minerals. They’re also kosher, dairy-free, soy-free, and nut-free. As a snack on their own, they’re deliciously crunchy and super filling. With only 130 calories per bag, they make a perfect snack for people of all ages. As I recently discovered, they make an excellent coating on some zucchini fries! The honey mustard and jalapeño flavors give the zucchini a pop of bold zest, and the crushed popped quinoa also creates a perfectly crunchy coating. Not to mention, these fries are good for you too!
Without further ado, here is an absolutely delicious, healthy recipe to try out as soon as you can. KiiNOA! Snacks come in three different tasty flavors, and you can grab some for yourself by clicking here. Thanks to the amazing owner of KiiNOA! Snacks, if you use code “BriHealthy” at checkout, you’ll receive 20% off your entire order and free shipping! These zucchini fries are perfect for your next game day get-together, especially alongside a bowl of whole Honey Mustard Jalapeño KiiNOA! snacks. You’ll be guaranteed to score when you make these!
- 3-4 large zucchini
- 3 bags of Honey Mustard Jalapeño KiiNOA! Snacks, crushed
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup liquid egg whites
- Olive oil cooking spray
- Preheat oven to bake at 425ºF.
- Peel zucchini and cut lengthwise into long, fry-shaped pieces. Then, cut them in half crosswise to produce many shorter pieces, about ¼ of an inch thick and about 4 inches long.
- Open the bags of KiiNOA! Snacks and transfer the puffs to a large, zippable plastic baggy. Press the air out of the bag and close it tightly. Crush the KiiNOA! using a rolling pin until it's at a flour/breadcrumb consistency. (Alternatively, you can use a food processor to pulse the puffs.)
- Place the crushed KiiNOA! on a wide plate and spread it out evenly.
- In a small mixing bowl, add the egg and egg whites and whisk well.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and spray with olive oil cooking spray.
- To coat the fries, first dip each piece of zucchini in the egg mixture. Shake any excess egg off of each piece back into the egg mixture bowl, then roll it around on the plate of KiiNOA! coating until fully coated. (Tip: use one hand for dipping into the egg and one for rolling into the KiiNOA! to prevent each bowl from getting clumpy.)
- Place each fry on the sheet of parchment paper, making sure they do not touch one another.
- Spray olive oil cooking spray over all of the finished fries on the baking sheet.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes, depending on your desired level of crispiness. Enjoy!
- Calories: about 660 in entire recipe. Divide by number of servings to calculate exact number.