This post was sponsored by KiiNOA! Snacks. The opinions are completely my own based on my experience.
There’s no food that warms the soul like a bowl of hot soup. With the weather in New York City growing colder, I’m finding myself wanting to hibernate in the warmth of my house much more often. I love being outside when it’s warm, but when the weather starts to hurt my face, I’d rather throw a hoodie and sweatpants on and lounge out on my couch. The best remedy for any chilly day, in my opinion, is to whip up a pot of some healthy, heartwarming soup to balance out my body temperature. This soup does exactly that.
Butternut squash soup is one of my favorite styles of soup. Not only should it be tasty, healthy, and simple to make, but it also tends to be very filling too. I decided to try adding some fresh apple to my soup this time, since I received a bunch of farm-fresh apples through a crop share this week. The results were so satisfying. This soup is seriously incredible. It yields a large amount, so I highly suggest making this for your weekly meal prep or as a healthy crowd-pleasing appetizer. It would also make a perfect healthy Thanksgiving appetizer for this Thursday. No matter when you decide to make it, I guarantee you’ll enjoy this nutrient-packed recipe.
I don’t usually use croutons or crackers in my soup, but this time I used KiiNOA! Snacks’s Toasted Cinnamon puffed quinoa snacks as a soup-topper. The sweet snacks complement the savory, already-cinnamon-spiced butternut squash flavor, and they also add a nice crunch. The KiiNOA! Snacks hold up well in the soup too, maintaining their crunchiness, unlike many crackers.
The Toasted Cinnamon flavor is actually the first flavor of KiiNOA! that I ever discovered. I was in a corner store with my fiancé one night and the cashier had a transaction minimum for credit cards. VJ told me to pick something that would put him over the minimum, so I searched for a healthy snack. A pack of KiiNOA! Snacks caught my eye (which I had never seen before), so I grabbed it. Let me tell you: it was love at first bite. When I reached out to the company’s owner and realized she was based in Brooklyn too, we immediately set up a date to meet up and chat. Meredith has become a friend of mine and I believe the world should know about her healthy and delicious products!
KiiNOA! Snacks are all-natural, certified gluten-free, non-GMO superfood snacks made from organic quinoa. They are packed with fiber, protein, vitamins, and minerals. They’re also kosher, dairy-free, soy-free, and nut-free. As a snack on their own, they’re deliciously crunchy and super filling. With only 130 calories per bag, they make a perfect snack for people of all ages. KiiNOA! Snacks come in three different tasty flavors, and you can grab some for yourself by clicking here. Thanks to Meredith, if you use code “BriHealthy” at checkout, you’ll receive 20% off your entire order and free shipping!
Before I go on even more about how much I love KiiNOA!, give this delicious recipe a try!
- 1 20-oz package of butternut squash, peeled and cubed
- 4 cups no-sodium-added chicken broth
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1 large carrot, diced
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 apple, diced
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves, chopped
- Black pepper
- 1 bag of Toasted Cinnamon KiiNOA! Snacks (Click here to buy!)
- Add 2 tablespoons of olive oil to a large pot and heat on the stovetop on medium low heat.
- Add the diced carrots, onion, and celery to the pot. Cook for about 4-5 minutes, stirring frequently, until onions begin to turn translucent.
- Add chicken broth to the pot, followed by the butternut squash cubes, diced apple, thyme leaves, salt, black pepper, and cinnamon. Stir well.
- Reduce heat to a simmer and cook uncovered for about 25-30 minutes.
- Check that the large pieces of butternut squash are soft and tender by piercing them with a fork.
- It's time to blend the soup. I used an immersion blender to blend the soup until it's smooth, then served it immediately. Alternatively, if you do not own an immersion blender, let the soup cool and then transfer it to a blender. Blend until smooth, then reheat to serve.
- Top each bowl of soup with Toasted Cinnamon KiiNOA! Snacks and enjoy!
- Calories: 640 in entire soup recipe. With 4 servings, each is 160 calories.
- Calories in bag of KiiNOA! Snacks: 130.