If you’re looking for a healthy cookie recipe for the holidays, you’ve come to the right place! Just in time for Christmas Eve, I show you bake up an easy and delicious recipe for Healthy Caramelized Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies! They aren’t officially caramelized, but the way that the coconut sugar bakes down with the coconut oil, it creates a caramelization effect that is so incredibly delicious! Watch the full segment from my holiday talk show episode above and find the full recipe below!
These cookies are easily made gluten-free by using gluten-free oats. Fun fact: all oats are gluten-free, but some are processed in the same facilities that may also process gluten-filled ingredients!
When you make these, please tag me in any photos of them on Instagram @bri.healthy. I’d love to see your creations! Happy holidays my loves! And if you’re making these at another time of year, happy today to you!
Healthy Caramelized Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 1 cup whole grain rolled oats (use gluten-free oats to make it GF)
- ½ cup oat flour (finely ground oats)
- ⅓ cup coconut sugar
- ¼ cup pure maple syrup
- 2 tablespoon solid coconut oil
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ¼ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Add oats, oat flour, coconut sugar, cinnamon, and pinch of salt to a large mixing bowl and whisk until combined.
- In a separate mixing bowl, whisk the egg. Then, add the pure maple syrup, coconut oil, and vanilla extract. Whisk well. When using solid coconut oil, it may be clumpy, but that’s fine. Whisk until evenly distributed.
- Slowly pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients bowl, mixing as you pour. Mix until combined. The dough should be wet and sticky.
- Fold in the chocolate chips until evenly distributed.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and spray with nonstick cooking spray.
- Using a cookie scoop, ice cream scoop, or spoon, scoop out a bit of dough and squeeze it in your palms. Roll it in your palms until it’s round.
- Place each dough drop onto the baking sheet and using your hands, press into a cookie shape. You want to form it into the cookie shape first, as they will not flatten on their own.
- Bake for 9-13 minutes. Baking for 9 minutes will yield softer cookies, whereas 13 minutes will give you crispier, more caramelized bottoms.
- Place on a cooling rack for at least 5 minutes and enjoy!