These healthy chocolate dipped candy apples are vegan, gluten-free, dairy-free, and refined sugar-free! These are so easy to make, and they’re a super fun recipe to make with kids or even for a spooky date night! It uses only all-natural ingredients, and you can top them with anything you’d like!
One of the coolest parts about this recipe is that during the development process, I found a revolutionary new way to melt chocolate in a pan without using a double broiler or a microwave! The internet said it couldn’t be done, but I figured it out! Watch the full segment above to see it come to life, and check out the recipe below! If you prepare this recipe, feel free to tag me in any delicious photos you take on Instagram (@bri.healthy)! Have a happy, healthy Halloween!
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil, liquid or melted
- 6 oz unsweetened chocolate (brick or bar)
- ¼ cup plus 2 tbsp pure maple syrup
- 6-8 small-medium apples, chilled, washed, and dried
- Wooden candy apple sticks (I found mine on Amazon)
- Desired toppings – I used natural sprinkles, but you can also use nuts, chocolate chips, etc.
- Chill apples in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes to an hour prior to beginning the recipe.
- Heat coconut oil in sauce pan on low heat until liquid/slightly warm.
- Place chocolate in the pan and stir around constantly until completely melted.
- Remove the pan from the burner and let the chocolate cool in the pan for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Transfer the chocolate to a small to medium-sized mixing bowl and stir in the maple syrup. (There’s no need to rush – the chocolate will stay liquid, unlike traditional melted chocolate!)
- Remove the apples from the fridge and wash them and dry them completely. The apples need to be completely dried so the chocolate will stick to them.
- Remove stems from the apples and stick wooden candy apple sticks into the stem area/core. Have parchment paper lined on a plate or baking sheet ready for the next step!
- Dip and twist each candy apple in chocolate until coated with chocolate. Quickly sprinkle your toppings on top. Quickly place on parchment paper and immediately place in the freezer for 10 minutes.
- Transfer your apples to the fridge and chill them until ready to serve! The apples can stay out of the fridge for over an hour. Enjoy!