There’s just something about the appearance and consistency of cornbread that makes it such a beloved dish of mine. The cornmeal gives this side dish such a dense, yet fluffy consistency that delights countless mouths all year. This was my first time making my own cornbread and it came out exactly as I had imagined. This is an extremely easy recipe and it doesn’t take very long to prepare, making it a perfect dish for a busy kitchen on Thanksgiving.
I made this cornbread “Southern Style,” which is traditionally different than northern recipes. Northern cornbread tends to be sweeter and more like a dessert bread, whereas southern recipes omit the excess sugar and allow the cornbread to better complement the foods it’s served with. I adapted this recipe from Colavita: (http://main.colavita.com/sweet-olive-oil-cornbread), but I switched up the ingredients a bit and altered the amounts to make it even healthier. The consistency was incredible and it looked beautiful as well.
Make sure to use yellow cornmeal instead of white so you get that beautiful yellow color in a natural way. If you prefer to make it sweeter, or more “northern,” simply add another teaspoon of stevia and another tablespoon of honey. This recipe is so tasty and it will be an easy addition to your feast. Try this recipe out and let me know how you love it!
- 1 cup oat flour (ground oats)
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon powdered stevia
- 2/3 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon honey
- Heat oven to bake at 400ºF.
- In a large bowl, add cornmeal, flour, stevia, salt, and baking powder.
- In a separate bowl, add the eggs, almond milk, honey, and olive oil. Whisk well.
- Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients and mix well.
- Spray a square or rectangular baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray.
- Pour batter into the pan and bake for about 22-25 minutes. Stick a toothpick in it and make sure it comes out clean to ensure that it’s done baking.
- Calories: 1480 total, per serving (with 9 servings): 165 per piece